Welcome to Distant Hill Gardens
An Environmental and Horticultural Learning Center
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life." Rachel Carson
Distant Hill Gardens comprises fifty-eight acres of fertile high country land in the hills five miles east of downtown Walpole, New Hampshire.
An environmental and horticultural learning center dedicated to inspiring and empowering children and adults to cultivate an intimate connection
to the natural world through education and observation.
We hope visitors to Distant Hill will leave with both a better understanding of the vital connections between plants, animals, and humans, and how we can use
Earth's resources in a way that strengthens and sustains those connections.
We are also open by appointment for Private Tours for groups of any size.
THE HIGHLIGHTS OF DISTANT HILL GARDENS
- Cultivated Gardens with over 400 varieties of Labeled Plants
Forests, fields & wetlands with a large variety of Native
- Numerous Vernal Pools, swamps and wetlands
- A boardwalk over a floating Cranberry Bog
- A large Stone Circle built with stones from the property
- Managed forests supporting over 30 species of Native Trees
- A three-acre ‘Milkweed Meadow’ for monarch butterflies
- An eight-acre sugarbush for producing our own Maple Syrup
- Dozens of Creative Sculptures throughout the gardens
- A small Christmas Tree plantation
- Alternative energy systems powering our Passive Solar Home
- Miles of walking trails including a half-mile long Accessible Trail
- Wildlife friendly forests
- Many unique geological features, such as large Pegmatite boulders and Stretched-pebble Conglomerate outcroppings.
The cultivated gardens, all of the stonework including the stone circle, the many buildings, and the substantial trail system were designed, built and are maintained by Michael and Kathy (Kate) Nerrie. In addition, many of the whimsical metal sculptures found throughout the gardens were created by Michael.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to Contact Us.