Our Favorite Informative Websites
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. 1809-1894
Hang Ten! Improve Your Surfing
The internet offers answers to virtually every question imaginable, but finding a reliable source of correct and current information is often difficult and frustrating. Hopefully the lists below will make it a bit easier for you to find the gardening or nature related information you are looking for. Happy surfing!
Nature Related Websites
Native Plant Websites
- Arbor Day Tree Planting Guide
- A Way To Garden - An excellent 'When to start seeds' calculator
- Cornell Flower Guide
- Cornell Vegetable Guide
- I Love Gardens - A great list of Public and Private Gardens by State
- North Carolina Cooperative Extension Gardening Page
- Perennial Resource
- Plant Finder - Excellent site! Info and photos for over 6,800 plants by scientific name, common name, and/or selected plant characteristics. Also, audio pronunciation of the scientific names of most of the plants.
- Watering New Plants - Seattle Water Partnership
Natural Garden Pest Control
Thanks to Grant C. from Six Brothers Pest Control for contacting us with a link to this webpage. We rarely share links to commercial websites, but with the lack of popups and ads, and the high quality of the natural pest control info on this page, we made an exception.
- Tackling Garden Pests Naturally - Highly Recommended! If you want to learn how to identify the insects that are eating your plants, and how control them naturally, this webpage is for you!
Gardening With Children
Thanks to the Girl Scout Troop from California who inspired me to add this 'Gardening With Children' section and other links above to this page.
- Kids Gardening .org - Excellent Website! Since 1982 kidsgardening.org has been a leader in the school gardening movement. The website has an 'Educator's Resource' section with free lesson plans, activity ideas, gardening tips for kids, and much more!
- My First Garden - University of Illinois
- Gardening at Home with Kids - Home Advisor
Thanks to Dakota for sending me a page of gardening resource links.
I included a few of her links in the above sections, and two of her links
in our new Dakota-inspired 'Composting' section below.
Birds and Wildlife in Your Yard
Thanks to middle schooler, Noah, and his STEM teacher Josephine, for sharing this excellent webpage with multiple links to info on identifying all types of wildlife; from frogs, toads and reptiles, to owls, birds, and mammals.
There are also links to information on WHAT TO DO, OR NOT DO,
if you happen to find a baby animal in your travels.
Note: If you know of a website that you think is worth listing here,
Please send us the link. We would love to share it on our website.
BE AWARE: We usually will not share links to websites with commercial advertising.